9 Jan 2012

5b) Developed- codes of practices and ethical framework

Going back to the question about codes of ethics in your place of work, I choose to consult the Human Relations and Professional Ethics chapter in The Art and Science of Professional Makeup book to establish the codes of practices and ethical framework.

The dictionary defines ethics as the system or code of morals of a person, group, or profession. Generally, ethics can be “defined as the principles of right conducts, especially with reference to a specific profession or way of life.” (S. Place, 1989, P 12) Financial success and good reputation are based on maintaining a professional standard and the practice of business ethics. It is important to maintain high standards of ethics in order to keep clients and to attract new clients and to feel confident to your personal and your business reputation. (S. Place, 1989, P12)

According to Stan’s point of view that the word “professional” refers to those who are engaged in the application or investigation of a body of knowledge or learned profession. It also means the manner in which one conducts oneself in the pursuit of a profession, and the pride and integrity that one takes in one’s work. (S. Place, 1989, P13) In question 5a, I mentioned as an ethical professional makeup artist, it is important to train or acquire any of the necessary qualifications or licenses I need to practice makeup artistry in my state or wherever I may work. From Stan’s perspective, he believed that many professional artists feel that it gives the client confidence to see your diplomas and awards displayed when where it is appropriate. He also pointed out that it is also important to practice good business by doing the following:
1) Keep your word and fulfill all your obligations so that your good reputation will follow wherever you go.
2) Treat all clients fairly and honestly.
3) Be cooperative with others with whom you work.
4) Obey all the rules, regulations, and laws established by state boards, local, state and national organisations to protect you and the safety of your clients.
5) Continue to learn all you can in order to be a credit to your profession and to better serve your clients.
6) Avoid all questionable practices, extravagant claims, and overpricing of products.
7) Practice the rules of sanitation that apply to your field in order to protect the health of your clients and your own.
8) Be quick to praise and slow to criticize.

Code of Ethics
In this chapter, there is a paragraph regarding code of ethics written by the author who was originally written or an American skin care association. Here they are of what this author thought about a code ethics for makeup artists.
I shall do all within my power to bring respect to myself, my business, and the industry I represent.
Creating community goodwill for our organisations is my responsibility.
I shall seek knowledge and truth in a continuing quest, exercise care in my judgments, change my opinions when evidence indicates, and dispense wisdom within my abilities. Sensitivity to emotional well-being shall be as important as my therapy and enhancement techniques.
Honesty shall be a part of my conscience at all times; in all matters.
I will be ever mindful of sanitary conditions throughout my practice and create beauty in all my surrounding. I promise to lend dignity to the name “professional makeup artist.”

No comments:

Post a Comment