9 Jan 2012

6a) and 6b) Pilot tools and reflections on merits and limits…

l  Pilot survey
I created my survey and decided to use this to try out and test one of the inquiry tools. The reason that I chose to do the survey first as for me it was an easy way to address some of questions and thoughts that I have been looking at in regards to my inquiry. By creating the survey I decided to use SurveyMonkey which I found very simple and easy to use. I thought that this would be the most efficient way of piloting my survey as setting up a link from my SIG on Facebook which would be easily accessible to many people, as many people on my Facebook are peers from my makeup and styling courses and colleagues from freelance work.
Before I created my survey, I worked out a ‘line’ for the questions that I want to ask in my survey, here it is:

Professional Training – Working or Studying – Difference between being a student and a working professional? - Interested area to work for and why – Portfolios and experiences before starting in the industry - Reasons for working as freelance –Three important qualities in your career?

Here is link of my survey:

(As I already closed my survey, here were my questions I asked in my survey) :

Styling
Fashion Design
Photography
Media
Other (please specify)

 Student


Theatre
Fashion shows
Magazines
Advertising and Commercial Work
Brides Makeup
Teaching
Consultant
Freelance
Other (please specify)

Collaboration on projects with other professionals
Creating a profile, a website and business cards to showcase work and make contacts
Freelance (paid and unpaid)
Internship opportunities
Other (please specify)


A passion for doing work
Being open minded
Be punctual and professional
Be organized and reliable
Be cautious of the Health and Safety
Be moral and ethical in the practice of work
Other (please specify)



Merits:

As a said above, I found the process of creating the survey (by using SurveyMonkey) quick and easy. The guides on YouTube were useful for the new users, it showed clearly the process and steps to create a survey and also it is free to set up a basic survey. The results of my pilot survey have provided me with some interesting information and by doing so has helped to see exactly what questions need to be asked in order to gain the information I need. My survey focused around the transition from training to career such as what and how does a makeup artist become professional and ensure to work successfully in such a competitive industry… One of my question was ‘what are the most three important qualities to obtain a job and make a successful career?’ and the answers were: 1) A dedication to work; 2) A passion for doing work; 3) Being open-minded 4) Be punctual and professional; 5) Be organized and reliable; 6)Be cautious of the Health and Safety; 7)Be moral and ethical in the practice of work; 8) Other. From my results, the majority people who ticked answer no. 6 and 7 were from the makeup background and the others such as photographers and stylists did not seem to bother these two options. (This led me immediately think back to the case study “Ethics in Photography” in the ethics reader) These results surprised me at first place and may have helped me to contribute to the fact on health and safety and codes of ethical at workplace, which I am proposing and feel that should put in my inquiry.

The survey was also good as it allowed for a variety of different types of questions including: multiple choices and comment boxes etc. Also, there was an option for users to set: ‘Require an answer to this question’. So it is a good setting option to avoid people skipping some questions. As I mentioned above, the way of piloting my survey as by creating a link on my SIG on Facebook, I gained many responses in a short space of time something that I didn’t think I would achieve and would need to work on. It seemed that all my respondents found the tool I used were easily accessed.

Limits:
Although by posting a link on my SIG on Facebook worked well for my pilot and on a small scale, However, in order to gain a bigger breadth and diversity of answers and opinions from different backgrounds and professionals which I will need in my inquiry I think I need to interact with more BAPP students on my survey to a wider audience form different fields. It is not broad enough to only connect to my professional community, another way u thought of gaining more people to answer my survey was to email the link over to my other friends from my contact list as this too would be a fast and an efficient way of gathering information.

In the comment boxes some results were lacking an explanation or too simple for me to gather information. This could be a limitation if you were looking for a lot of qualitative data. In addition, this one thing that I found the survey lacked the ability to gain more out of people’s opinions, although I did put comment and boxes to give reasons for specific answers, however, I think interviews or focus group will always provide a clear and more in depth answer to the question asked and discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment